Saturday 14 June 2014

Creative potato cakes - fun with food!

After reading Julia's potato recipe posts on her Free From recipe blog Alimentary Bites a few weeks back, I must have made potato cakes/farls six times since then. Never before have my twins willingly eaten (and more impressively, ENJOYED) potato before, other than chips. Memories of choking were hard to shift, potato is a sticky food which children with reflux can find difficult to swallow, and scary to reflux back up. But there is something about potato cakes that is reminiscent of chips, which as long as they are not too soggy they have always been able to eat safely and enjoy.

I'm not going to reproduce Julia's recipe, you must visit her Blog to find out how to make them but they only contain potato, or possibly another flour of your choice in addition. I sometimes add a little "Pure" margarine but this is optional.

Since the mixture the recipe creates is so easy to roll and shape, as well as the gnocchi I have yet to try, you can cut it into shapes. So today, we got creative!

The pizza has some of the Redwood Cheezly soya free cheese on the top, which I cut into chunks and freeze on opening, then lift out and grate frozen as required or take a wedge at a time out for the fridge - otherwise it tends to go bad very quickly.

For the bunnies, I used carrot strips for the whiskers, and raisins cut in half (watch your fingers!) for the eyes. I experimented with my stove-top griddle to try and burn on eyes etc too.


These potato cakes have revolutionised our lunch boxes too - they are fine cold and make a lovely change from sandwiches. Today, I also added some of the protein powder I wrote about before to make them a very healthy cold snack.

25 comments:

  1. Oh they looks so good! I am running a new linky if you would like to link up http://romanianmum.com/2014/06/fridayfoodie-linky.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love this idea! Not thought of cutting them out and they look so pretty! #redipeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look lovely, very cute :-) #recipeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog, your recipes sound so delicious! Would love it if you stopped by my blog http://justjone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound and look amazing. Thanks for pointing us to AlimentaryBites too can't wait to try the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww think my girls would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always looking for ways to change the lunchbox contents. I'm going to make these for the girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh they are fantastic - fun and tasty now that's a good way to go with food :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has bought back memories of my childhood. My mom often made potato cakes but I don't think I've had them for years. I will have to make some, they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never made potato cakes before, but have bought them ready made - but will have to give them a go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you know what i have never tried this and it looks so easy must give it ago x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh they look great, I love all things potato! x

    http://www.youbabymemummy.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. never thought of doing this with potato cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this and will be doing this at breakfast next weekend with the boys

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a fab idea - so versatile. I'll definitely be making them with the kids x

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look great, such a simple little snack

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look like such fun! We must give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
  18. great idea! will definitely try them! Have some cookie cutters I have been wanting to use :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. How fabulous! They would also make a great tea for an after-school play date - you would be the best mummy ever!

    ReplyDelete
  20. im bookmarking this page as i love potato cakes but never cooked them myself i bet homemade i much better

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fab recipe Kate and lovely creations! Glad the kids are enjoying their potato cakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. My little 2 don't like potato but they may eat these. Will be giving them a try

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks easy and fun for kids! #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
  24. they are great. My daughter would LOVE the bunny rabbits. Such a fab idea. #pocolo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look so adorable - never thought of cutting them out at all before, what a cute and cleever idea. Thanks so much for taking part in the Parenting Pin it Party this week xx

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...